Thursday, November 6, 2008

Media Autobiography

This is a quick autobiography of my media exposure and interests through my life.

When I was in elementary school I was only allowed to watch television on the weekends, and was encouraged by school and family to read in my free time. In the last few years I have not done as much pleasure reading because of my busy life, but my favorite author today is Chuck Palahniuk, a satirical novelist.

I grew up in a fine arts loving family, with lots of exposure to film, music, theater and visual art. I have always loved music and attend several concerts every year. My favorite musicians have very thoughtful messages and sometimes politically charged ideas. My newest addiction is Sirius Satellite Radio, where I especially love the guest celebrity DJs.

I also love film and enjoy art films and classics like The Godfather, I’m Not There, The Departed, Do The Right Thing, and Lars and the Real Girl. I have never been a big TV watcher but I do usually have one or two shows that I am very loyal to; for the last few years it has been Grey’s Anatomy and Lost.

I have always avoided watching local news on TV because I think the coverage is biased and the vast majority of stories are a waste of time, but I do love the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report. My family regularly watches local and world news and I feel they wildly overestimate crime and accidents and receive a one sided view of the world.

I admit to relying on the internet a little too much. I check email and facebook everyday, have my own art store on ETSY, and check the latest film and album reviews frequently.
This past spring I spent 6 months in London where I did not have a TV, and only had access to a business phone. Without these things, I was never in the house, but was out exploring London. After a couple of months without a phone or TV I got very used to it and it actually made me feel better not being so attached to them.

No comments: