Sunday, November 9, 2008

No Logo

As soon as I read a transcript of Naomi Klein on her No Logo book, I felt like I had already heard everything she had to say. She should have presented the information like: 'you have heard of the sweatshops, outsourcing, globalization, brand names, capitalism, mass advertising, etc., here is what it's doing to us, here is why it's bad, and here is what we need to do to stop this.' Instead, she wrote this article as if it was all new information to us and she was uncovering some shocking hidden truths, and gave us little suggestions on how to change things.

She talks about the idea that we have become more followers of a company than consumers. We come to identify with these brands and become faithful to the companies, like we are following rock stars or sports heroes, and I agree that as Americans we do that. We get attached to companies, for example, my friend in high school wore Adidas outfits and accessories every day. But so what? He liked their style, and they liked him as a customer.

More and more celebrities are creating their own line of clothing, or makeup, or purses, or jewelry, or whatever. We are buying the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume because we loved her in Sex and the City. It's not just endorsements, and we aren't buying it because she likes it, but it has her name on it, and she might have even had a say in the creation of it. We are buying it because we are faithful to her.

We are faithful to brands too, and I catch myself frequently going on and on about how great this designer is, or shoe brand is, and just advertising for them. And I think this is their goal. Their goal is not just to sell X amount of product, but to get people on their side and advocate for them. Just the other day I was defending Starbucks, saying they aren't really an evil machine because they hire all these poor coffee bean farmers and help them out. I'm not sure why we do it, or why I do it, but maybe it’s because we want to justify that we are getting a good deal and are satisfied with the money spent.

I don't understand the problem in doing this, or know why Naomi Klein thinks that its wrong. Everyone wants to have their own opinions on products and brands. If we try something and like it, what is wrong with going back to that company or telling our friends about it? Is it unnatural or too out of control to practice brand loyalty? Every time I need a new dress, I go to Betsey Johnson, not because I am manipulated, but because I like her line of clothes. Sure, companies are becoming rich, but we get what we want, and we are happy about it. I see no real problem or danger in brand faithfulness.

No comments: